Momiko Organics

Friday, October 2, 2009

I Have Seen the Light

With model measurements in hand, I have set off to sew. I've never worked with eco-friendly fabric before, and I am in LOVE! Especially with bamboo - we'll get to that in a minute.

First, organic cotton. It turns out that being left untreated does wonders for fabric. I never realized before how much softer organic cotton is - mostly because I thought it would be too expensive to buy. But with all the research I did, I was able to find some beautiful options for about $11.00 a yard, a price that includes the shipping it took to get here. That isn't too much more than the fabric I used to buy in the fabric stores around town, and in some cases it's even cheaper.

That being said, organic is now the only way to go for me. Having worked with organic, there is no way I can go back. Admittedly, there are fewer cute options with organic right now, and some of those options are very expensive still. But there are more and more manufacturers going green and producing green products. That means more choices are being made everyday!

Now on to bamboo. Bamboo fabric is by far the most luxurious and wonderful fabric I've ever touched in my whole entire life. I want to be surrounded by bamboo fabric. I want to sleep in it. I want to sleep on it. I want to wear it everyday. If I could wear shoes made out of bamboo fabric, I would.

I've read before that bamboo is really soft and feels like silk. I never got it until now. It's way better than silk. It's incredible, and I am in love with it. The best part is that this fabulous and amazing fabric is sustainable. It is fabric heaven.

2 comments:

Swingkid said...

Yummy! Who would have thought that word would ever describe fabric?!

fairie_wings_pixie_dust said...

Bamboo mixed with cotton gets softer everytime it gets washed.
Wonderufl blog

 

design: boutiquemama.com